Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring Breeeaaaakkk!! Whoo Hoo!

We spent this last weekend in St. George, UT. We decided to do a little hiking in nearby Snow Canyon. Darci was a little apprehensive and needless to say it took a little convincing, but she decided it was a good idea in the end. She did almost all of the hikes by herself with little resting in between. We did two hikes, each over 2 miles. Not bad for a 4-year-old.
The views from our destinations were pretty awesome. Snow Canyon, and southern Utah in general, has to be one of my favorite places to go hiking.
This is a photo taken from the same location, just a different direction.
This picture makes the rock look a lot steeper then it really was. However, it looks impressive, so I am posting it!
This is David resting after taking his turn carrying kids. We traded off so neither of us was over tired. I think it was a fair trade.
This is where Darci wanted to take a rest. She was such a trooper, I figured we had better document this moment of triumph.
You can't tell in this picture, but when Darci and I climbed this rock, Maile freaked out because she wanted to be up there with us, but it was a little tricky for her to get up there...
So I gave her a little help.
I am glad we took them because now we know they can do it and we can survive and even enjoy ourselves.
This is Darci posing with Daddy on top of some petrified sand dunes.
Darci's favorite part of the hike was getting to climb on all the rocks. This rock had some lava caves nearby that she was thrilled to explore with me. Because the trail was rather steep, we left Daddy and Maile behind and ventured on our own. It would have been fine, except I bashed my head on a low ridge and am now sporting a small, but painful goose egg above my left eye. Cute.
Maile was content to do her share of climbing and scrambling among the red rocks. She doesn't like being left behind.

Great views of some of the lava rock mixed into the red rocks.
Maile got pretty sick of the backpack at times. We had to let her walk a few times.
This is me and Darci in some outcroppings in the rocks we found on one of our hikes.

Here we are getting ready to start one of our first hikes.
Taking a little lunch break before heading back to the car.
Posing in some more outcrops. A trip well worth the effort.

8 comments:

Brittany and Scott said...

wow!! that must have been so hot to be in st. george anyways and than hiking around taking turns with the girls. you guys are the real deal.

Combs - A day in the Life of... said...

Oh man it really looked so beautiful there. Glad to hear that you guys had a great time.

Stacie said...

I'm experiencing some major regret at this very moment. :)

Bret Bushman Family said...

I am so glad you had such a great time, wish we could have gone with you and enjoyed the warm weather, I love snow canyon, and climbing the rocks, we got caught one time and they kicked us off.

Dustan and Micayla said...

natalie--its Micayla! Found your blog from Stacy's page!! I can't beleive your vute little family is getting so big!! Times flies when you are having fun!! Show me a comment when you have a second and talk to you soon.

Booth Family said...

Cool! We want to go there too! :)

Jen said...

Natalie! I am a total blog stalker & just came across your blog! I hope you don't mind me adding you to my links???? You look AWESOME! Cute Girls! My blog is: http://texasmortensenfamily.blogspot.com


It looks like you guys are doing great! I hope to hear from you!
Love,
Jen Webb Mortensen

Kerrilyn said...

I love the picture of Darci at her 'resting stop'. How cute!!!