Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It has been a while since I have updated. I think that is because it is so much easier to post when I have photos to accompany my day-to-day life. However, since most of the photos are still in our camera, the pictures will have to wait until another day.
However, I do feel that there is something worth mentioning to everyone who has listened to my Darci woes. I just have to say that she is doing very well lately. Yesterday was a marked day that I want to remember so I am posting it on the blog.
I had a total breakdown in judgment yesterday and decided to take the girls shopping to the outlets in Park City. My mom came with us, but we were both shopping for different things. So we decided to each take a child.
I conceded Maile to my mom since she is decidedly the easier of the two, and I took Darci. Things did not start out well. We had a total fiasco in Pac Sun which included me telling her to stay with me and she completely ignoring me until I got angry. All you parents who are familiar with this scenario know how frustrating it is to repeat things over and over and feel like you are just talking to yourself.
SO, I grabbed her and left the store in a bit of a rage. I found a corner near an alley between stores and made her sit there and I walked around the corner and sat on a bench where I could still see her but she could not see me. She was crying and screaming and asking for Daddy. People walking by kept looking at her and, upon seeing me, asked if she was alright. I politely explained that she was in trouble but that she was otherwise fine. Embarrassing? Very. Worth it? Well, after makeshift "timeout" was over I told her if she wanted to go sit in the car the rest of the time that would be fine with me and she would not get any food or be allowed to play on the little playground they have there. She agreed to behave.
I think what happened after that was a miracle. She was like a different child. I guess the playground thing really resonated. She held my hand, she stayed by me. If I moved, she followed. She helped me try on clothes and asked what colors I liked. She was very polite to the clerks when we had to leave and she thanked me for letting her come with me. I am not sure what to say except that I think things are looking up.
This is not a normal experience, but I believe that her behavior is improving and the help we are getting might be paying off. This is the first time I have really seen a change, but I sure hope they keep coming because I am really likin' it.

2 comments:

runningfan said...

Hooray for happy endings! I have sooo been in the trenches with you! Good luck...hopefully there will be a positive trend.

Kerrilyn said...

I think all mom's are in the same boat. I just read about my sisters experience with her daughter. The only difference was hers is 7 years old and they were in a really nice restaurant....all over what she wanted to order (which were two different things that didn't come together). Eventually, just like you it all worked out, but getting the the all worked out point is sometimes really SUCKY!!!!