Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Too many to list

There have been a lot of things happening this week in our family that have really made David and I stop and think about what we value and what is most important. I think that we are given opportunities to evaluate our lives so that we will be prepared for the future and in some cases the inevitable. It has also forced us to reexamine our faith and our goals and even wake up a little and realize that life changes really fast. Sometimes you just have to slow down and take a deep breath so you don't drown in tidal wave that life will ultimately send. We are deeply grateful for our many gifts, including these two great kids we have been allowed to raise. I really could not ask for more.
On that note: here are some more great things that have happened to us lately.
This last month I was able to reconnect with a long-lost friend. My good friend Maile (after whom my daughter is named) happened to be in town for her sister's wedding. I had not seen or spoken with her in over a decade, and it was a total fluke that I was able to track her down. I am very glad I did and I hope it will not be another 10 years before I see her again.
David had the long anticipated graduation for his Master's degree last month. The sad part is that he still has almost two months worth of classes left, but because he was close to finishing they allowed him to participate in commencement. It was long and boring, as most graduation ceremonies are, and I spent most of the ceremony in the lobby with the girls, but we got to yell real loud when they announced his name. So I guess that is good.
The kids actually did pretty well considering. And we got to go to lunch with David's family and mine after, so it ended up being pretty fun.
The girls wanted a "flower necklace" like daddy's. I thought he looked very handsome.
Here is Darci with some more of his "abstract art." We won't allow her to bring dandelions inside the house, so David told her to go decorate something. She chose the small grill on the porch. She calls them dande-flies, and thinks they are pretty and cannot understand why people pick them and then throw them away. She has also learned that they are the only flowers she is allowed to pick. It is like free weeding for me. Win-win.

Maile bonding with Daddy. I just liked this picture.
Mother's Day came a little early for me this year. David surprised me with a rare night out with just the two of us. We took me to a great Greek restaurant with fabulous food. Afterward, knowing my affinity for Irish culture, he took me to see Celtic Woman, a cool all girl Irish band. If you ever get a chance to see them, do it. They are amazing. It was a great evening. I am so glad we got to go.

9 comments:

Bret Bushman Family said...

Way to go Dave...that is sooooo awesome, the hard work finally paid off...what a cute family

MakingChanges said...

Sounds like a wonderful week. Congratulations, Dave!

Booth Family said...

You all look so cute together! Congratulations to Dave. We're impressed. How about a celebration trip to Oregon?

Stacie said...

Graduation? You mean that really happens for some people? Wow. I'm impressed! Your girls are so cute and are growing up so fast. Way to go on the awesome Mother's Day gift Dave!

walkerbunch said...

Natalie,
Hello! Long time no see. I ran into your blog and had to say hello. It looks like you're doing well. Congratulations to David on getting his Masters. You two have beautiful girls. Life is crazy isn't it? Keep in touch okay.

Brittany and Scott said...

congrats david on your master's degree--you are almost there

runningfan said...

Hey! It looks like your school district email address isn’t working anymore…hopefully I can get in touch this way.

We’ll be in Provo next week and I wondered if you’d have time to meet at a park there for lunch. I was thinking 11:00 Tuesday at Rock Canyon Park (by the Provo Temple). Let me know if that will work for you! I’d love to see you and your girls.

Congrats on graduation!!!

Marianne Barker said...

Nat--just read your blog. Belated congrats to Dave on his graduation. The kids look cute!
Love,
Murr

Stacie said...

Hey Natalie, what are they doing at Orem High? Every time I drive by there I wonder what is going on!